THE COLLEGE ESTABLISHED UNDER THE MORRILL ACT:
President Lincoln approved the Morrill Act on July 2nd, donating public lands for colleges to benefit agriculture and the mechanic arts
Texas’ first public institution of higher education in the state, the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas, is established on April 17 by the Texas Legislature
TEXAS AGRICULTURAL AND MECHANICAL COLLEGE REGISTRATION:
A&M was opened for registration on October 2, on October 4, forty students and six faculty members began instruction.
Faculty and President were struggling over the promotion of a cadet (John Crisp) to First Captain (top cadet position) and Commander of Company-A and news reached Governor’s office → Board of Directors fired entire staff citing lack of mandated curriculum and staff’s unwillingness to cooperate
“THE FIRST AGGIE MUSTER.”
Originally held on June 26, a group of former cadets gathered together to “...live over again our college days, the victories and defeats won and lost upon drill ground and classroom.”
Today’s Ross Volunteers Company can trace their history all the way back to the Scott Volunteers of the late 1880’s. The Scott Volunteers made their first public appearance during the June 1888 commencement ceremony.
FIRST AGGIE RING INTRODUCED:
The Texas A&M senior ring is a tradition as grand and as revered as the University itself. The ring is symbolic of hard work and of membership in the greatest fellowship in the world. In 1894, a committee picked the ring design similar to the one worn today.
LAWRENCE SULLIVAN ROSS APPOINTED PRESIDENT OF THE COLLEGE, SAVING IT FROM CONVERSION TO A STATE MENTAL INSTITUTION
THE FIGHTIN’ TEXAS AGGIE BAND EST.:
It was under President Ross that the nationally famous Fightin’ Texas Aggie band was created. Joseph Holick was selected to start the band. Holick, a local shoemaker and musician, was originally hired to play Taps and Reveille on the bugle every day. Originally only consisting of 13 members.
Inspired by Lawrence Sullivan Ross’ death in 1898, Silver Taps is the student body’s final tribute to an Aggie who, at the time of his or her death, was enrolled in undergraduate or graduate courses at Texas A&M University.
CONSTRUCTION OF KYLE FIELD:
1904 saw the construction of a permanent athletic field led by E.J. Kyle. Kyle, the only student to serve as Commandant and later the Dean of the College of Agriculture. Using his own money, Kyle purchased lumber that was used to build seating and later purchased a covered grandstand for the field. To honor his support for the athletic program, students referred to the field as Kyle Field.
SCOTTS VOLUNTEERS PERMANENTLY CHANGED TO ROSS VOLUNTEERS.
Today, this distinguished group can be seen at various on-campus and political events both in Texas and beyond.
FIRST KNOWN BONFIRE
FIRST MARCH OF THE BRAZOS:
OLD MAIN FIRE - FOUGHT BY CADETS
US JOINS WAR WAR I, 2,217 AGGIES WILL SERVE
CADETS TRANSMITTED THE 1ST BROADCAST ON HAM RADIOS
THE TRADITION OF THE 12TH MAN WAS BORN.
During the Dixie Classic, now known as the Cotton Bowl, while playing Centre College, the Aggies sustained so many injuries that they needed to call on a substitute from the stands. That substitute was E. King Gill, a member of Infantry Company E. Gill stood on the sidelines ready to play, in effect becoming the 12th man. Although he did not go into the game, his readiness to support his fellow Aggies embodied the spirit and culture of Texas AMC and the Corps. This act would inspire the tradition of the student section standing at games to show they are always ready to suit up and take the field for their fellow Aggies.
OFFICIAL ADOPTION OF SENIOR BOOTS
a group of cadets stumbled upon an injured black and white cur while driving back from Navasota in their Model T Ford. Knowing they couldn’t leave the hurt animal, the cadets nursed her back to health. Until the bugler sounded “Reveille” in the morning. The small pup went wild with barks and howls, earning the name Reveille. Instead of getting rid of the small dog, the school allowed the dog to stay. In 1932 Reveille officially became the school’s mascot.
World War II saw that number increase nearly tenfold with 20,229 Aggies serving. Among this group, 14,123 were commissioned officers and 6,106 were enlisted personnel. 7 Aggies were awarded the Medal of Honor for heroic actions performed during the conflict. The Memorial Student Center was dedicated in 1951 to honor these fallen Aggies and those to come.
“WE’VE NEVER BEEN LICKED” BROUGHT HOLLYWOOD TO CAMPUS.
Texas AMC’s involvement in World War II extended beyond just training soldiers. In 1942, Universal Pictures came to Texas AMC to film We’ve Never Been Licked. Dedicated to the students of AMC who were in the movie and the ones fighting in the war, the propaganda film introduced the world to Texas AMC and the Corps of Cadets. There was even a cameo appearance made by Reveille I.
FISH DRILL TEAM:
Following World War II and the return of war veterans to campus, freshmen were housed near the retired Bryan Air Force Base, the present day RELLIS campus, to combat hazing and overcrowding. In 1946, the freshmen created the Fish Drill Team out of boredom from the isolation. To join the unit today, freshmen interested in joining are evaluated on their basic drill movement.
US ENTERS CONFLICT IN KOREA, A&M SENDS OVER 1,900 FORMER STUDENTS
The Memorial Student Center was dedicated in 1951 to honor the fallen Aggies in World War II and those to come. Cadets are to be cleaned cut, and in uniform when entering the MSC.
SAM NETTERVILLE ASSUMES POSITION AS THE FIRST MASCOT CORPORAL, HANDLER FOR REVEILLE II
FIRST WOMEN PERMITTED TO ENROLL
FIRST AFRICAN AMERICANS JOIN CORPS
CORPS MEMBERSHIP MADE OPTIONAL
NAVAL ROTC PROGRAM ESTABLISHED:
The Naval ROTC program made A&M the only campus in the nation where a student could obtain a commission in any branch of service
PARSONS MOUNTED CAVALRY:
In 1972, a group of cadets approached Commandant Tom Parsons about restarting the cavalry. Parsons agreed and the re-formed cavalry was formally named the Parsons Mounted Cavalry in recognition of the Commandant. The first unit of the reinstituted cavalry was made of fifty junior and senior cadets. Active riders in the unit were seniors who could provide their own horses, tack, and feed with juniors serving as support staff.
WOMEN IN CORPS:
Initially led by a male commanding officer, W-1 was created and consisted of 25 female cadets. Women-only outfits such as W-1, and later Squadron 14, would continue until 1990 when they were disbanded and the units G-1 and Squadron 9 were integrated.
SAM HOUSTON SANDERS CORPS OF CADETS CENTER OPENED TO THE PUBLIC
THE BONFIRE STACK COLLAPSE:
12 Aggies killed (8 cadets) and 27 injured when the Bonfire collapse
THE FIRST AGGIE ASTRONAUT:
Former cadet Mike Fossum ‘80 becomes first astronaut from A&M in space, was Commander of Squadron 3 in 1979
FIRST AFRICAN AMERICAN COMMANDER:
During the 2012-13 school year, Marquis Alexander served as the Corps of Cadets first African American commander.
FIRST FEMALE COMMANDER:
In its 139 year history, the Corps of Cadets names its first female commander, Alyssa Marie Michalke.
“THE NEW QUAD”:
Quad renovations completed creating 4 Leadership Learning Centers and a Starbucks on the Quad
FIRST FEMALE REVEILLE HANDLER:
Company E-2, who has the privilege of taking Care of Reveille, was integrated in 2017. In 2018, Mascot Corporal Jacob Scroggins, passed down Reveille IX to the first female Mascot Corporal, Mia Miller.
“PARSONS IN PASADENA”:
Parsons Mounted Cavalry first unit to represent Corps of Cadets in the Rose Parade in Pasadena, CA
HALL OF HONOR
For more than a century, the Corps of Cadets at Texas A&M University has produced members who have held positions of importance in almost every field of endeavor. Whether in war or peace, former cadets have led the way.
The Corps of Cadets established the Hall of Honor in 1993 to pay tribute to those former cadets who have lived a life that exemplifies the Texas Aggie Spirit. Those chosen also possess the values upon which the Corps was founded: honor, loyalty, service, pride, patriotism, faith, leadership, and honesty.
Plaques containing portraits and biographies of each member are displayed in the Hall of Honor of the Sam Houston Sanders Corps of Cadets Center. A special lapel pin identifies the members of the Hall of Honor.
MEDAL OF HONOR RECIPIENTS
Seven former members of the Texas A&M Corps of Cadets have received the Medal of Honor. The Medal of Honor is the highest award that a member of the United States Armed Forces can receive and is awarded for valor against an enemy force.
The former cadets who have received the Medal of Honor are: